Having trouble with a big ECM Project? Can’t seem to get things to work in for your enterprise? Maybe you need a dose of simplicity for your project. Maybe a few guiding principles and get you back on track.
I have been on many projects implementing a content management solution and most often its just a small cog in the wheel of the total enterprise solution. And many organizations project mangers don’t even care, the folks working on that content management project are not charged with making it also work as part of an enterprise solution, they just want their solution to work and be done on time. Well maybe if they just took the time to do a few things as part of their project it could enable an enterprise approach.
You might find if you do these six things in your ECM program it can put you on the track to success.
- ECM is about the overall enterprise and its content; it’s not a synonym with an ECM tool such as Oracle UCM. There will be many tools used as part of the ECM effort.
- Content security should be autonomous and preserved at the repository level. Any user should be able to log into the repository tool of choice and only see what they should see, even if the user normally uses an application that is a front end to the content repository.
- Content should be presented along with Meta data and allow users to understand the data independent of the system that created it. It does not need to be complete; only human readable and understandable. It should ideally provide information on how to find the complete set of information. For example, content should not be stored with the only identifying information as a primary key field or invoice number; information about the invoice should also be stored with possibly a link to the system of record.
- Search engine optimization principles should be applied to both internal and external content to enable secure enterprise search. Secure Enterprise Search Solutions are a must.
- Management is not for free just because it’s in the name of the tools, metrics and reporting need to be established as well as active management of the content. Additions, deletions, and archiving of information should be actively measured and managed.
- You will never have ECM without someone in charge of it.
The tendency to break principle 2 and 3 is high because it will make things easy. Do not discount the power of being able to present users with content outside of the application that they (or someone else) originally placed it.
Now if only these would be easy as it sounds. You might find if you do this for everything suddenly your content repositories transform themselves into an Enterprise Solution.
If you are using Oracle UCM you might also want to check out Bex’s presentation on “Real World ECM Success Stories“.